An important aspect of the tenancy is knowing when to give certain notices and what information must be available to either party on such notice. Fear not, the important notice periods for Maine are quite simple and easy to understand.

Notice to quit

Once the tenancy is nearing the end, the tenant should give at least 30 days’ notice to the landlord of his or her intention to move out on the day the agreement term ends. If the tenant does not provide notice, then the tenancy becomes a month-to-month tenancy, in which either party must give 30 days’ notice to end the tenancy. Any tenant that stays beyond the tenancy without the permission of the landlord is a holdover tenant who must pay a holdover rent which is double the monthly rent, computed and prorated for each day that the tenant remains on the premises.

Rent changes

The landlord is prohibited from changing the rent amount or any other portion of the rental agreement during the agreement period. If the landlord wishes to change an aspect of the agreement, including the rent amount, he or she must give 45 days’ notice prior to the end of the existing tenancy. The same notice period exists for month-to-month and holdover tenants.

Landlord’s right to access

There may be a few instances for which the landlord requests to access the premises to perform repairs, services, or exhibit the premises to prospective purchasers or tenants. Generally accepted is 24 hours’ notice to the tenants before the landlord enters the premises at a reasonable time, unless, of course, there is an emergency.

Energy and radon disclosures and bedbug addendum

Maine leases should have the notice at the top of the lease regarding the energy disclosure and DHHS Landlord Radon Disclosure.

NOTICE: An Energy Disclosure for rental units in Maine and a DHHS Landlord Radon Disclosure are available from the Maine State Housing Authority.

In addition, the Maine lease should have a bedbug addendum that provides notice of the obligations of both the landlord and the tenant regarding bedbug control for residential properties, which may be seen in 14 M.R.S. § 6021-A.